
I saw a movie on Friday about a rat named Remy who shows us that anyone can cook. Not everyone, but ANYone. In other words, even if they're a RAT!
Obviously, it's a Pixar film, (so it's bound to be better than any other film coming out this summer) but it's also a Brad Bird film. Lets see... Iron Giant, The Incredibles. Those movies weren't bad I suppose...wink wink... What I mean to say is that this movie was destined for greatness, because with Bird and Pixar, how can you not win?
I enjoyed everything about it. There was laughter, surprise, cuteness, wit. I can not think of one character that I disliked, or one joke that fell flat, or one scene that didn't leave an audible impact on the audience, even if it was a silent one (though most of them left the audience rolling with laughter). The images on the screen just by themselves are captivating to watch, with a beautifully crafted rendition of Paris and French countryside, with careful attention to details. Add on to that an idea you instantly fall into believing, fantastic layered characters and their hilarious (and sometimes hilariously harmful) relationships, and some of the most fantastic character animation you've ever seen, and you've got a movie that you must absolutely see tomorrow. Or the next day. And the next.
But I might remind you that this is a "Brad Bird" film; despite the medium's "kiddie" reputation, this guy isn't afraid to make the movie he wants to make, even if some of it it goes over the little guy's heads. I don't recommend you bring four year olds (come on...they're so young!). Maybe not even five year olds. But everyone else! That means you, animation students! :D
Take your work friends too... Friday's employee movie night, right?
Here's a nice article I found about it.
Oh yeah--do NOT leave before or during the end credits. Please. It made me so sad to see people leave while it was still happening, like there was nothing else to see. Dare I say it tops Incredible's credits? Wellll...I'll let you decide :)
---- On another note---
I just watched Pan's Labyrinth on DVD (I went to The Video Store to get it! Thanks Mary --wink wink). When it was in theaters we tried twice to go see it, and both times it was sold out. One other time we came too early I think. But I heard reviews from friends that didn't give it such a popular rating. I now join them in their opinion; or at least, I create my own that is similar. I felt it was long. It was depressing. It was violent, and each character that I leaned towards liking would either be shot multiple times or die in some other violent fashion. The only facial expression that I was aware of making, besides a blank stare, were grimaces and winces... The world in which Ofelia inhabits is dark and uncomfortable. But, if that's what the director was going for, then he did a good job. So he succeeded at making me grimace and feel uncomfortable. There were moments where I felt admiration for the characters-- the woman who was a servant to the captain stands up to him where no one else would-- but again, I could only feel that way after grimacing and feeling uncomfortable when she is wounding him with a knife. I guess in the end, this just wasn't my type of movie.
And now Amelia is a movie critic! Hurraahhhh!
And all you FLOOOVDE people. Happy anniversary, almost...(waaahhhh!!!)
So, no surprise that I totally agree with your rat review!
ReplyDeleteBut, my review of Pan's Labyrinth differs from yours; I felt it was a beautiful and eerie film. It was dark and depressing, but that was part of its creepy charm...and I believe that some of the characters who "died" actually just transitioned into the fairy tale land they had been dreaming of. (I tried really hard not to give anything away!)
But, it's for sure not a film I will be seeing again anytime soon. I don't like downers much, this one just happened to be well done.
Good review, although I have some slightly different opinions. Ratatouille scored a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. That's a good thing. How could I get that thing that records where blog visitors are from? Looks interesting!
ReplyDeleteHa ha, OK, maybe I was too harsh on Labyrinth. Then again, it's just not my kind of movie, so I shouldn't have critiqued it :P
ReplyDeleteThe map with all the dots on it? It's called ClustrMaps, and it's free if you have just a world map. On mine you can zoom in and see the different continents/countries. That costs money, but I think its worth it. I love seeing who comes here!
Thanks for your comments guys!