
Safari West is a great place just east of Santa Rosa that houses lots of wonderful animals, like lemurs, cheetahs, giraffes, watusi, zebras, and all sorts of gazelles. Even a few porcupines! The animals are fenced in, but are not given "man made" habitats, like most regular zoos. What is super special about this place is that a group of students can go there to study the animals, no charge (with permission)! I.e.: art students! So I got a few art student friends of mine to come with me.
The people were super nice, and actually gave us three a private tour through the back property where the large herds of animals were. It was like the Disneyland Indiana Jones ride, said my friend--we were on the top level of a heavy-duty jeep/safari vehicle, going up and down muddy rocky slopes. It was great, and I got a lot of drawing in. What's even better is that I feel like for the most part I did better drawings this time than when I went last year with my parents.
Have a great weekend!
Wooooahh! That's one nice drawing. I like how you describe the forms with a handful of simple lines and shapes. It's wonderful!
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Sam! This cheetah was nice enough to stay put for at least a minute, so I could actually draw it...most of them were moving too much!
ReplyDeleteHey, you too have a blog! now you know all my awful secrets. I hope your trip to calarts was helpful and productive, and I look forward to seeing how much you'll change as an artist in the coming months! good luck with everything!
ReplyDelete