This silly blue wristband is still on.
Sooo continuing with the CalArts visit two weeks ago--another great fun time was had at dodgeball! It was actually really tiring...I'm not exaggerating when I say I was soar for four days afterwards...I couldn't get up without moaning! Guess I don't get much exercise. (read: any exercise)
Sunday morning I got up early to go to Corny's workshop at 10. I drew for a little bit (Corny sat next to me, and although I doubt he was watching me, it was kind of daunting trying to draw the way I normally do!) Later on I showed him my portfolio, and I think it went over pretty well. The thing he didn't like was that I folded all my drawings in half! So I got rid of the creases as much as I could, pasted them all on big 36x24 card paper so they were easier to handle, and spray fixed them too. I've got a while before I have to send it in, but it's still kind of fun to work on. Here are two ink drawings I did Thursday night that might make it into my portfolio.
Oh yeah! RATATOUILLE is out on DVD! Yaaaay!
Also on DVD is Meet the Robinsons, which I thought was a great movie for Disney. I thought the whole movie could be symbolic for the direction the studio's taken now...I hear there have been a lot of changes, but changes for the better. I'm looking forward to the Princess and the Frog; it takes place in the '20s I think, down in New Orleans. And Randy Newman's doing the music for it! Also, there are frogs (I assume), which is good because I like frogs. :)
WOW! As usual, wonderful drawings! There's only one suggestion I can make...two of my friends go to CalArts, and they've both said the same thing: don't send in or hide the hands, feet or faces. So...I would suggest not sending the second drawing in :) I do like it, though :) Very nice ink work.
ReplyDeleteHey! Did you meet Jesse Soto while you were there? :) He's my closest friend, and he's Character Animation (taking a one year leave).
Anyway, good luck with your 'folio. You are soooo going to get in this time, God willing! Let's see that acceptance letter, yah?
Haha thanks a lot Sam--yeah I hope to see that letter too! I agree with you about the second drawing-- I like the top, but I don't like that stripe across the bottom. I actually did draw her feet when I did the drawing--but her feet disappeared when I drew them, because they bled into the rest of the wet ink. Maybe I could draw them in later in black...? Might look kind of weird...but yeah, I'll send in some hands and feet, to show them I can do that too, a little bit.
ReplyDeleteAnd no, I don't think I met your friend. I did meet lots of people though and it's possible I met him just quickly.
awesome fig drawings Amelia! Your visit to Calarts sounds funn
ReplyDelete:D
Great work! I really like the life drawings below:)
ReplyDeleteThanks a lot Paul and Martin! Yeah, it was a wooonderful visit! :)
ReplyDeleteThat's a killer green ink drawing at the bottom. I love how the top of her head and hands are not closed off, yet my brain fills in the gaps. I also dig that stroke of paint below. It's a nice touch.
ReplyDeleteThanks Gerard--those features you mentioned weren't really conscious ones; more like happy accidents! Some day I'll think about those things consciously, perhaps! :)
ReplyDeleteHi Amelia,my name is Sinae; I am a senior who is looking forward to apply to CalArts. I looked at your post by accident meanwhile seeking some advice with calarts students' work on random websites, and they are amazing!
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of lost of what kind of direction my portfolio should take, so your advice is really necessary for me...
If possible, I'll be waiting your reply to my e-mail
danchoo_7@hotmail.com
Thanks!
hey my name is Dan, i also stumbled on your blog looking for application advice, i'm currently a junior looking to go into their film/video program.
ReplyDeleteI know you're a different kind of artist, but do you know anyone in the film school or anyone who could give me some kind of advice on applying/portfolio guidelines?
thanks in advance, Dan :)