Saturday, July 10, 2010

catch-up

Oh look, I still have a blog!
Sort of. I have been doing a pretty terrible job of keeping this up for the past few years. I blame school for that--but then, I don't have school at the moment so I really can't use that as my excuse any more! No excuses, no matter what time of year. I've just been neglectful. :(

Well this past year at school was a roller coaster, ending on a high note. I was really happy to be a part of the Producer's Show this year. Job fair/portfolio review was pretty intense, and it happened a few days before the Show. I stayed up all night arranging and printing my story/animation portfolio (as did most of my college buddies...you gotta pull an all-nighter sometime, right?). Went to bed around 8 am and slept till sometime in the afternoon, when it was time to go back to check on the results at the portfolio review. Thanks to my friends I was kept on track and didn't miss it!

To my surprise I had a few callbacks-- Pixar and Disney were exciting ones, story and animation with Pixar and animation with Disney. Talk about nerve wracking!! I was in a daze the whole time, trying to be myself and stay positive. It's so easy for me to spill out all my weaknesses when I'm in a situation like that, but I tried not to. Who knows if I succeeded. haha.

Anyway, the fair was a great practice-interview experience, and by the end of the day I was feeling pretty comfortable. No internship at Disney or Pixar for me, but I did land an internship at a wonderful place close to home (with no connection to portfolio day). I get to draw in Photoshop and animate in Maya, and each day I'm getting a little more comfortable with the computer.

So there's my summer plan: a full-time internship at a great local studio. I'm having a blast. ;)

2 comments:

  1. Your internship sounds really awesome! Is the job fair a cal arts only event?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amelia! Thanks for commenting my blog. :) I'm glad you can see improvement in my drawings. Haha yeah it was a good idea for me to keep doing life drawing during the summer, I get rusty pretty fast if I don't. But I'm sure you a lot of drawing done at your internship!
    Ah I can't believe the school year is almost here already. I'm so excited and nervous. I will definitely make the most of every year.

    Thanks for being an inspiration for me. :) I can't wait to meet you and hopefully you can give me some pointers throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete