We are in the process of reading the book "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. It's not bad so far, but rather hard to read; not very frightening either, at least not the same kind of fear people seem sense these days. Maybe people got frightened easier back then...I donno. The story itself is a frightening concept, sure, but the "spoken word" really doesn't fit the emotion of the scene to me... For instance, I had no idea the Monster could say, "Oh Frankenstein, be not equitable to every other and trample upon me alone, to whom thy justice, and even thy clemency and affection, is most due. Remember that I am thy creature; I ought to be thy Adam, but I am rather the fallen angel, whom thou drivest from joy for no misdeed." Yeeah... But I feel bad for the poor monster. I drew a picture of him today, though I know it looks a lot like every other interpretation of him. I also drew a girl with her chin up, because I don't do that very often.Also, lately, I've noticed that even though I draw incessantly in sketchbooks, I really don't have any 'pieces' of work to show, for example, in a portfolio. I don't have any paintings, nor do I have any really detailed drawings. If I were in AP art this year I would already have a bunch of stuff to show...ah well. I guess I should try and broaden my skills beyond the pencil.
On another note, there is a new blog put on by a group of Pixar artists, much like the E-Ville blog called the Spline Doctors. All of the members are animators, two of them I have heard of and one of them I have met twice! I saw Angus MacLane give a lecture at Pixar last October (was that really a YEAR ago??) about a scene he did in the Incredibles. Then this year at the Wondercon I recognized his face and saw his nametag and introduced myself. I told him, "Congradulations on winning the Annie Award!"
So I'll definetly be watching that blog from now on too. :)
Au Revoir
I remember trying to read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and yes it was hard to get through. The Boris Karloff movie was better. (yuck yuck)
ReplyDeleteAs far as drawings are concerned, remember that it's all pencil mileage. There is no question you will be one to reckon with one day but you need all those drawings to get there. I should show you my early stuff. There's a reason they're locked away but they are fun to look at now. There is no better school than the one of hard knocks.
The Spline Doctors' blog is awesome. I'll have to add them to my links. Nice sketches. The underlighting on Frank looks cool.
Thanks Louie- Haven't seen the Boris Karloff movie yet, but our English teacher is going to show us "Frankenweenie" on Monday, the Tim Burton equivalent of the story. I've seen it and I liked it. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope I get to read Frankenstien in my high school career. Even if it is kind of boring it's still a classic. I like the red hair of the girl
ReplyDeleteThank you Paul- Yeah, even though Frankenstein is not exactly my cup of tea, I'm still glad I'm reading it, just for the sake of reading a classic.
ReplyDeletea
If you haven't already seen it. Go see "Young Frankenstein" directed by Mel Brooks. This is probably his best film. (other than "Spaceballs") Gene Wilder is superb and watch out for Cloris Leachman too. And it's filmed in stunning black and white. Happy Halloween.
ReplyDeleteHi Amelia, great blog and great drawings! Do not know how I ended up here but I am really happy I did (al the way from the Netherlands).... Keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteNicole
Hey thanks a lot Nicole! Always glad to see a new face here at the Cafe! Wow the Netherlands is quite a ways away... Glad you like my blog and drawings!
ReplyDeletea