Monday, February 20, 2006

monday


Hi there fellow bloggers...
Well, I'm using up the last precious moments of my vacation. Last week was "Ski Week," my school's equivalent to mid-winter break. Quite nice, I must admit. And having President's day off wasn't too bad either...
Last week I basically just hung out at home, surfed the internet, worked on my Senior Project paper and drew a lot. Yep. Oh, and my dad and I went to the Monterey Bay Aquarium Thursday and Santa Cruz Friday. Fun fun fun! Since I worked on Sunday the 19th and it was a SketchCrawl day, I figured I should use my time at the aquarium for my SketchCrawl. I think I'll post those pics on the "SketchCrawl!" blog. It's at the links bar at the left...
We spent the night at the "Quality Inn," which was very cheap but not too bad. I actually had a very rare thing happen that night when I sat in bed; I thought of a picture in my head then began to watch it play out. I watched it for maybe ten minutes, interrupting here or there to correct what a character said. But I hardly did a thing, and at the end of it I just sat there and thought, "Where did THAT come from??" That will probably happen to me two more times in my lifetime.
In other news...
Today I started to gather up all of my CalArts assignments into one folder and I have almost everything finished. The deadline is next Tuesday, the 28th. I'm pretty prepared, excited and quite anxious. If I don't get in, well, oh well. But if I do, it would be one experience I wouldn't ever forget. I've never done anything like that--spend a month away from home, animating at summercamp...but doing something different once in a while would definetly be good. It almost always is.
At the beginning of break, two fridays ago, our French teacher gave everyone in our class the option to take home a tape recorder for homework. Yeah, our homework, due on Friday this week, is to record our voices, speaking French, on these old-fashioned tape recorders. We have to describe two cartoons and respond to two or three questions after each one, allowing ourselves only a minute for each response. When our teacher had given us the choice to take a machine, at first almost no one took up the offer. We were like, "Heh heh...yeeah, maybe next time..." But after a few brave students had taken one out of the box, I figured what would it hurt. So I took one out and brought it home and it sat on my desk, looming over me every single day of the Ski Week.
Finally on Sunday night I went to the store (mainly for ice cream and rootbeer) and bought a couple casettes. Usually I'll tell myself, "Ok, no matter what, I'm going to do this on this date at this time and I'm going to like it!" And usually I end up chickening out and ignoring everything I said about that. This time I told myself the same thing. "You will sit down on Monday night, with the cartoons, with the tape and the recorder, and you're going to LIKE IT!"
But this time, instead of ignoring what I had told myself, I actually did what I was told. I sat down, put the casette in the machine and recorded myself talking. It wasn't easy to do, mind you--in fact, I didn't do any of the questions as well as I know I could (or should) have. But the fact is, even if I stank at it, I did it, and that's very strange for me to do. It's good, but it's strange. So I'm kind of proud, I guess.
Now I don't have to do it Thursday night, at least!

Have a good week everyone. Bite off more than you can chew.

And that's a picture of Chihiro and one of those spirit-things for no reason, if you were wonderin'...

5 comments:

  1. A well deserved pat on the back for trying. In most cases the worst that can happen is you fall flat on your face. That is inherently better than never having tried.

    I am confident you will be accepted at CalArts. If not, it only means a door will be opened for you elsehwere. Never look at it as failure either. All it means is that the time is not right. If you keep growing as a person and as an artist, success is inevitable. Tangible talent cannot be denied even by the extreme prejudice or ineptitude of others.

    Take care of your own and the rest falls into place. And yes, bite off more than you can chew!!

    Nice sketch. Spirited Away is one of my favorites by Hayao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - good advice from Louie!
    Glad I got to see your sketches in our class from your sketch session in Monteray, great stuff. oops I gotta run
    - greetings from Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louie- I should make a book of all of your quotes on this blog--they're all such good advice and it's enlightening stuff, so thank you very much. I know what it's like from each end of the spectrum- from trying and succeeding, trying and falling flat on my face, and not trying at all. Actually, giving up was one of the worst feelings I ever had. So I guess I'd prefer trying and falling flat on my face. Actually, trying and succeeding might win that one over by a few points... :)

    Paul- I might put up a few of those pics here on the Gecko Cafe after all...seems more appropriate I guess...having fun in Ireland? I LOVE their accents there!
    Hope to see some sketches from there...

    a

    ReplyDelete
  4. i need to check back more often..

    you've got some really great stuff here. your work is always so interesting... always different looking. maybe its the medium your using.. not sure. but great!.

    be back soon

    M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mike! Thanks! You're illustrations are great, please post more up on your blog.

    a

    ReplyDelete