Saturday, April 29, 2006

saturday morning

Sooo sorry. It's been much too long.
Last Saturday was great. For all of you who were there, here's a shirt for us.
It was an awesome place to sit and sketch; a little chilly now and then, but the sun decided to come out later in the morning and it warmed things up a bit. For me the day wasn't as productive as I would have liked...but then, when will there be a day like that! I usually draw people, so the Palace of Fine Arts dome was real intimidating. I tried but eventually decided to leave it to the artists around me to draw that big dome thing. There were swans, wedding photo shoots, a crazy frisbee woman, many cool things to see. I even found a place in a tree where I could drawsome statues (they weren't actually purple).
Here are some other pics too. The first three after the shirt are from SC. The last three are both old and recent ones; The girl with no arms I did on Easter I think, the young man I did a couple years ago, and the girl playing with her hair was a woman at the Canvas Gallery Cafe at the opening of Combined Weight. There were some amazing pieces of artwork in there. They made me want to learn how to paint! We got there
unfashionably early though. Oh well. :)
I saw many people I knew and met people I had heard about and read about. I love doing that. Ted Mathot was there, and he was cool. I met the artist who did this amazing airplane picture...I think I know his name but I'm not sure if I'm right. Anyway, he was real cool too. It was fun to see Jamie Baker there too, and I saw Andrew Stanton walking around. I think Nate Stanton's watercolors were some of my favorites. Said hi to Ronnie and Enrico as well. Great stuff they had in there. I saw Charles Kiyasu (sorry for the spelling if that's wrong... :) ) there as well, and he had already snatched up one of Enrico's. Have a nice weekend and I'll try to post some more up soon.


Oh! PS: My Senior Project is finished!! Now all that's left is my presentation(s) and I'll be done with it for good!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Amelia,

    Nice new pictures! Did you draw all of these? I'm not quite sure, but I think you did. I like your style. It's really different from my kids' styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jim- Thanks! Yeah, I did all these here...all very sketchy. I saw a comic of Daisy is Dead and I really liked it! Lindsay is really very amazing with her drawings in the computer. I have yet to really learn Photoshop or anything like that!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the nice comments on Lindsay's art. I wish I could draw a tenth as well as any of youse guys!

    Lindsay learned OpenCanvas first, but her "virtual PC" slowed down so much because of spyware and other malware, that she had to abandon it, and we had Photoshop and Doni and I took a class in it, so we helped her switch.

    Just for the fun of it (on a whim), I threw up a CafePress shop devoted to selling a green T-shirt with your drawing of a green T-shrt on it! But it didn't turn out so well (the image is small) and I haven't tried to fix it. Anyway, you can check it out here. (Of course, I'll take it down if you want; I set it up not to be advertised, since I didn't have your permission, but I figured you'd get a kick out of it, heh.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I didn't like it not being right, so I made the image larger. Now the joke can be gotten, anyway.
    And you'll get a buck for every shirt sold! (heh, just don't hold your breath.. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice collection of work! I'd like to see how your senior project turned out so fill me in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim, that's hilarious!! A t shirt of a t shirt!! I might have to get meself one of those. Cool site that looks like too...hmmm, maybe some t shirts forming in my head now...

    Louie- My portfolio binder was at least three times thicker than everyone elses...I put all the storyboards in these plastic sheet holders. At 9.00pm Sunday before it was due I ran out and had to go to three stores before I finally found more! I bought out all the plastic sheet holders Rite Aid had!

    I'll try and post the boards up a little at a time, onve I get them back from my teacher.

    a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Amelia,

    CafePress is free and really easy to set up little stores at, and pretty fun and high quality. The main downside is that they charge a whole lot per item (like $14 for one of those green shirts), so it's hard to make any real money with them (besides, only family and friends have bought anything from me there). But it's great for making one or two of something printed with your own art!

    Here are some of the stores I've made with CafePress:

    rancho curioso kit
    Lindsay's Holiday designs
    Some Restrictions Apply
    Superstition
    Stop Ogling My Googling
    Sketch Crawl #9

    None took any more than about an hour to set up.
    The trickiest part is that you should have the images sized as they suggest. But Photoshop can do that well, and your mom could help you with that if you wanted to print something. Or you could mail an image to me and I'll put it up in a shop...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was awesome to finally meet you at SC9. I approached you while you were sketching...in a tree. Yeah, we chatted about the Cartoon Art Museum, etc.

    Those are some very cool sketches. I was able to check out the Combined Weight show for the first hour and had a chance to chat with Nate Stanton about the new collaborated comic book coming out, said hello to Ronnie, and had a chance to meet his wife Tess (super nice).

    Did you see the group of sketchers by the fireplace? Wow, I almost wanted to join them...but time did not permit.

    Oh yeah, I actually was able to sketch you and Larry....sketching the Palace of Fine Arts :)

    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/gsamurai/04.jpg

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jim- thanks for the info!
    Gerald- That's a great watercolor! It was great to finally talk to you. Here's the site where you could sign up to be a member of the Cartoon Art Museum : http://www.cartoonart.org/member.html
    Again, I don't even know if I'm still a member, but it's worth it to get those tickets to Pixar a little cheaper :)

    a

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amelia--Beautiful drawings! It'd be great to be out there on one of them San Francisco Sketchcrawls or openings--they sound like fun!

    I love your statue drawings especially the second one, it's very sensitive! I also like the girl beneath them--it's very decisive!

    Congrats on your Senior Project too! I'm sure your presentation will be great! Best of luck!

    Nick

    ReplyDelete
  11. !
    Thank you Nick! I'm really loving your One Man Band character(s). THat style is so comforting and it makes me feel like a little kid again.

    a

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely sketches! Very expressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Alina- and I'm always enjoying your wonderful watercolors too...I will be checking back at your blog more often... :)

    a

    ReplyDelete
  14. V COOOL drawings!! I wish I can join the sketchcrawl .... but you guys are up north!

    ReplyDelete