Wow it's been a while. I apologize to you (those who are still reading this blog) for the delay.
First order of business:
I've finally sent in all my CalArts application stuff!!! I want to thank everyone who helped me on it. I couldn't have gotten it done without feedback on my portfolio and the help with letters from my recommenders.
So now it's the waiting period... which may or may not be as grueling as last year. But I'm excited about the new year no matter what. I'm supposed to call the Academy of Art today to talk about applications. I applied online last Sunday. So now if I don't get into CalArts, I've got AAU to back me up. For once I'm grateful for 100% acceptance...haha
So that business is halfway done. Whew.
Also, the semester is over and I'm enjoying my winter break. I had a fun christmas eve with my parents and a crazy christmas day with almost 30 family members at our house! It was fun though, and we had a special show put on for us from our friend Ernie, who creates wooden puppets. (His website is a link at the left here!)
I feel like a lot has happened over the past two weeks. Getting my portfolio out the door was certainly the best thing that happened besides christmas. A good way to start the new year. I've been having a little bit of a hecktic time at work these past few weeks...with inventory day, lots of extra hours and even a scary customer...but after this week I'll be back on my normal work schedule. I can't believe I'll have been working there for three years in May!
Also new this year is our family trip to Costa Rica! This is something totally new to me. I'm used to Hawaii and France, where people speak English and French. But Spanish?? Whaa??? I gotta do some research here. My cousin Nina is being married there in April, and since my dad's birthday is the same month, we decided to make it an extended trip. Probably just a couple weeks. I'm excited!
Also there is an ant crawling over my computer screen right now. I have an ant on my hand. I blew him off. So yeah, there are ants in my room...but I've gotten rid of all the sugar here. Except my chocolate penguin, but he's safe inside his plastic wrapper. I suppose they just want in from the rain.
OK so...thats it for now. Have a good rest of your break, if you're on one. Come to SketchCrawl 17 on the 19th in San Francisco!
I love your charcoal life drawings. I miss working with pastels and charcoal. It's so messy, but so loose and spontaneous. That 3rd portfolio piece is wonderful.
ReplyDeleteHey! Amelia! Good thing that we both made it XD!!! I wish we both can get accepted and see each other at CalArts someday!!! That would be super exciting :-)
ReplyDeleteHappy New Year!!!
Time for us to wait lol
Thank you Gerald! I don't think I'd be working with charcoal at home. I've only done it at school, where I can be as messy as I need to be with charcoal and oil paints and what not. But at home? It would get everywhere!
ReplyDeleteI hope we both get accepted too Janine! That'd be cool if we actually got to meet face to face! haha
Oh I love the internet! :)
Yeaah and about the waiting...you know what it's like...
Those life drawings look great! Charcoal can be quite messy indeed. AAU was my second choice school as well if CalArts didn't work out...hopefully though you'll be accepted to CalArts and get to hang out with us pesky animation students on a 24/7 basis eh? haha. Anyways, congrats on getting that portfolio out the door! :)
ReplyDeleteGood, good...finally got the portfolio out. =D
ReplyDeleteyeah...good old Academy of Art.
It's interesting...
their application fee is higher than CalArts but they have a 100% acceptance rate. CalArts is highly selective...but their application fee is half AAU's amount.
You would think it would be the other way around. =|
But yeah...if I'm not accepted...I'll probably head there as well. = |
These sketches are looking good... Congratulations on getting your application off.
ReplyDeleteWhatever the result you have taken a positive step forward and your efforts will be eventually rewarded.
Keep up the great work.
Jennifer, Demitrius, Louie, thanks very much. Can't wait till March.
ReplyDelete