Wednesday, September 30, 2009

calarts week 3

And school takes over!
Summer time was perfect for a good 5 hours of computer time a day. Now I'm lucky if I get in 5 hours a week! It's kind of a good thing--I guess it means I'm working on other things (homeworrrk). I hope I can keep posting; more than first semester last year at least!
Its hard to describe this year compared to last year; there's definitely a different mindset that I sense everyone is in. At least for me, it's been about having a little more discipline about work and going to bed on time. I've been doing alright on both accounts so far; it was easiest the first week. But you know how things go when the cycle repeats. Monday comes again and again and it just felt like yesterday. Now we're in the full swing of things and it will just keep coming until winter break.
Up above are a few pictures of how I painted my cube. It's watermelon-taffy-gum-christmas colored, I guess, since those are all the things people used to describe it. Also gecko-belly was one descriptor and maybe that's my favorite.
I've enjoyed character design class a lot on Monday nights. It gets pretty tiring but I enjoy doing the homework. Layout is like reliving perspective class last year since we still have Dan Hansen. He's awesome. His class is great. Last week we studied scenes from 101 Dalmations and that made me happy.
Traditional animation is in some flux right now. New teacher, new curriculum for us, and everyone's in a whirlpool of trying to communicate what they know or how they feel. It's a combination of a lot of little things that are adding up to make life a little more complicated. Or maybe we're making it more complicated. Either way, most of us know something could be going better.
Story class is going to be interesting tonight. Our teacher Jim Hull and a guest artist Dave Pimentel will be reviewing our story assignments. We were given two characters, a man and a bird, and were told to give the guy a flaw and to have him solve his problems by reversing his motivation. I'm curious to hear what they say! I love doing the boards but the actual pitching part really isn't that fun--or rather, waiting to pitch isn't fun! Pitching can be really fun actually, especially if you know the crowd you're in and if you feel like it's going well. I hope I have fun tonight, and that everyone enjoys the pitch!
I should probably go get some feedback on the boards now. And then it's on to layout homework maybe. This week our assignment is to draw an orangutan and a walrus having tea together. That sounds like fun. :)

Just for fun here's a picture from the D23 expo from a few weeks back! Wall-e is wearing a princess mickey hat!! This was the awesome animatronic Wall-e. He spoke and moved and could roll around too. So cute!!


Oh, and a picture of my cat, Blue. Because he's so handsome. :)



1 comment:

  1. I really like your cube. Looks like a comfortable, homey, place.

    ReplyDelete