Tuesday, December 27, 2005

the loot


This Christmas I recieved many fun and fancyful things...among the biggest was my very own cell phone (gasp!). Yes, I actually have survived being a teenager without one. I promise to turn it off in the theatre and class room.
I also was given "The Visual Story" by Bruce Block. It looks even more textbooky than Robert McKee's "Story," but just as informative on the technical side of storytelling.
I also got a sketchbook that I had been eyeing in the art store for a while and I love it so much. It's a fancy one that I've seen on the SketchCrawls, a Fabriano Artist's Journal. But it's so amazingly beautiful!! And it fits right in my bag. Also in the loot I found two Japanese watercolor brushes, a few shirts, an ocarina (ceramic flute thing) and some happy spending money. With this happy spending money I bought FLIGHT: VOLUME 2 yesterday. It's just as amazing as the first volume, only twice as many pages!! I've read almost the whole thing already and have been sucked into every story. For some stories I would just go on to the next, but for others I would linger and think, "What an amazing story!" I highly recommend it to anyone with some extra happy spending money.
In other news...
A week ago today we took our cat, Blue, who was screaming and holaring, to the vet. Today we took Buddy, our other cat, because last Tuesday we couldn't find him. He didn't scream and holar, but he was definetly a worried kitty. They just needed their vaccines for cat stuff.
We also went out for brunch at Willow Wood Cafe in humble little Graton. Sketched a few interesting faces there. The cool thing about sketching people is that you can never forget their faces. You stare at them, really focused, for long enough that you can just think of their face in your head. I like that, because my memory is not the greatest. Drawing heals the darndest things.
Every Tuesday I drive myself to bass lessons. Since I have my own stand up now, my teacher wants me to be bringing that one each week so that I don't have to adjust every time to his bass that he keeps there at his house. If you live in the Bay Area, or at least the northern part, you know what I mean when it's been a little wet lately. So wet that my mom said that she would feel more comfortable coming with me to my lesson today. Thing is, I can't bring my bass if my mom comes, because there wouldn't be any room. The bass takes up the whole car practically. So I left the bass, assuming I could use my teacher's bass and explain it to him when we got there. Actually, we never got there. The streets were flooded on the two roads we could have taken to get there. If my mom hadn't been there I probably would have just gone through and gotten stuck or damaged the car somehow. Strange how life does that sometimes, huh?
Hope you are all dry and warm and enjoying a hot cup of tea. Or that you will do that sometime in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. two very good gifts if I might say... Both inspirational and informative in their own way! Life is such a delicate balance of fateful and synchronistic events. Without them there is no meaning to life. No profoundness.

    Hope you and your family stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louie! Life IS profound.
    And I say the same to your family, if it is indeed raining down there. :)

    a

    ReplyDelete