matches and lighter that sit next to the stove - and one day a few weeks ago I discovered that if I rub the flint of a lighter enough to make sparks, little flashes of light would blink on the top of the stove. What is it? They look like sparks, but smaller. Very bright, but small as a speck of sand, and it only lasts for a split second. Happens in pretty random places too, but all on the top of the stove and on the chimney pipe too. My dad told me to stop it with the lighter because I'd wear out the flint on it, so he gave me some huge tool that sparks when you squeeze the metal together. Awl right! Now I make sparks and an eruption of little sparkles dance across the top of the stove. He suggests it's bit of flint on the stove that somehow are triggered by the friction in the air of metal on metal. I found, however, that the stove has to be very hot, with a roaring fire inside, for this to work. Anybody know exactly what's going on here?
Since I was feeling experimental I took my mom's new digital camera and set it to a 3 or 4 second exposure and took some of the sparkles. I don't have those pictures on this computer but next time I'm on my mom's mac I'll show you. Pretty cool results!
In other news...
My boss gave me an agenda calendar that she needed to get rid of I guess, and it turns out that a lot of the pictures inside are of the old style that I really love. I can't get enough of the illustrations of the twentys and thirties, or even illustrations from before that time period. I also love music from that era and fashion too...guess I'm kind of old fashioned... Anyway, here are a few pictures from it, I can't help but share...
Also I'm pretty sure I'm going to apply for this program thats happening in the summer at CalArts, called InnerSpark. I've known abou
t it for a few years now and have always been interested in the animation course they have. I know that CalArts was founded by Walt Disney, or partially founded by him maybe. But I also know that it's one of the top schools for animation in the nation, and one of the hardest to get into (not to mention one of the most expensive too). So I'm really keeping my fingers crossed, hoping that I can get into this four-week thing. Here are a few sketches from my new fancy sketchbook (which I LOVE!); the one of the girl playing
car
ds is not mine. It would be, in my dreams!
I always sit in front of the fire place and mess around with it - its so nice on cold days! I don't know what those sparks are from but I sure like the sound of it XD
ReplyDeleteThe 20s and 30s were a fascinating time period! The fashion is so cool and recently actually since summer I have been developing a comic that occurs in the 1930s I have done tons of drawings so I’ll post some
Calarts Innerspark sounds like a great program - I already have art plans this summer but one summer I want to go there. I had no idea Walt Disney helped found it! I read a really interesting biography about him recently - I bet you'd enjoy it (I'll find the name)
CalArts is a good school. Take your best shot and go from there. Only good things come from trying. Or as the great philosopher Nike says: "just do it".
ReplyDeleteNice sketches.
Oh Amelia I love the girl you drew is really cute ;)
ReplyDeleteThank you everyone!
ReplyDeletePaul- A comic that takes place in the '30s?! AWESOME! Definetly want to see some drawings from that!
Louie- I definetly will try my hardest to get into InnerSpark. Thanks for the support.
Virginiajoe- Thank you very much!
a
Being part pyro myself, here's a little info on the stove thing. It is a common misconception that sparks are small pieces of the flint flying off. Actually, sparks are small flecks of steel that are shaved off by the flint. Flint is just a hard, sharp stone.
ReplyDeleteMy guess on the sparklies on the stovetop is that they are either tiny particles of steel that didn't burn when struck, or perhaps flint dust (flint does wear down over time). Truth is, lots of particulate matter will burn on top of a really hot stove like that. Try sprinkling a little pepper on there next time--I think you'll find that will give you a sparkly light show as well. You'll probably also find that after some experimentation you're going to get stuck with cleaning the stove... :)
The tool your dad gave you--does it look like a pair of tongs (or a pair of enormous tweezers)--spring loaded in the handle with a cap down on the striker end? That sounds like an igniter that welders use to strike a flame on an oxyacetylene rig (for gas welding).
Oops--my FireGeek buzzer just went off. I do get carried away sometimes...
I love your sketches, too! :-D
I totally agree with your appreciation for older art forms. Sometimes the best way to move forward is to look back.
beautiful drawings!
ReplyDeleteSplinesmith- Thank you for stopping by, and for the mysterious firespark info. And hey, don't worry about your "FireGeek" alarm...it's not like there aren't geeks around here! (I point to myself, by the way)Besides, what's wrong with geeking out... :)
ReplyDeleteAlina- Thanks so much! Your art is always inspiring so keep it up!
a
Oh yeah, Splinesmith- that big tool looks exactly as you described it. I have yet to try the pepper... :)
ReplyDeletea
Hey Amelia,
ReplyDeleteThanks for posting the Cards drawing. Its pretty amazing. You wouldn't happen to know who drew it would you??
J
J- In the book it says the author is H.M. Brock, from "All About Me," 1928. I went to your blog and recognized the name Iron Scythe, though I had never visited it before. Now I'm glad I have! I saw your website too, with all of those AMAZING drawings!! I will definetly check in again soon. The artwork in your online portfolio reminds me of Tony Fucile's style. Very Iron Giant-esque.
ReplyDeletea
Hey Thanks! Thats really kind of you.
ReplyDeleteHey Thanks! Thats really kind of you.
ReplyDeleteYou will soon be on my links list as well... :)
ReplyDeletea
Oh, nice new sketches ^^. I love the girl playing cards! Bye
ReplyDeleteThanks Ethe!
ReplyDeleteMuchas Gracias!
a