Tuesday, January 31, 2006

unusual day

Today my mom told me I should stay home. I have a cold, and each morning it's a bad case of hoarse-throat and stuffed, sniffly nose. So when my mom told me I should go back to bed and try to sleep, I didn't argue! It's been a LONG time since I missed a day of school, and I must say, I liked it. Plus, have you noticed that colds tend to drain you of energy? Yeah, they do to me too. So today felt like a weekend, right after a Monday. Felt good.
Today I rented Corpse Bride and watched it with my dad. I really like that movie. I love it, in fact. It's a little funny how many cheats they have in it, about the land of the living and the land of the dead, and all the rules that are implied between them...but I still am very fond of the whole story. Stop me before I ramble on anymore! Who cares, Amelia?
Anyway, in other news...
SketchCrawl's location in San Fran has been moved from the Asian Art Museum to the De Young Museum and the area around that. Should be great, if we get a break in this iffy weather we've been having lately.
A few days ago I bought a comic book that I've had my eyes on for a while. It's called Blacksad, by Juan Diaz Canales and Juanjo Guarnido. I REALLY like the art in this book. The characters in it are people who look like animals (kind of like the opposite of Disney's animals-that-seem-like-humans). For instance, John Blacksad, the main character, is a private eye. His body is of a human, but his head is that of a cat's. He has claws on his furry hands, too. There are bodyguard rhinos and bears, lounge lizards, feminine felines and there's an orangutan that plays guitar. The story is engaging and cool, but what I love most about it is the art. All done in what looks like watercolors. Here's what some books look like. I'd buy the other two books in a flash, too, because the art is so inspiring.
Another inspiring artist is Lotte Klaver. I discovered this site through the CG-Amiga Team blog, thanks Virginiajoe. I also just saw it on Enrico's blog too. It's making the rounds.
Well I've got to post some kind of picture, so here's one. It's on the new yellow section of my fabulous Fabriano sketchbook. Done with a medium wash 4B pencil and watercolor brush. Have a nice rest of the week everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I really like the sketch (I love it when I get to the yellow pages in those things!)
    Are you going to go to the sketchcrawl on the 4th? I would like to but AAU classes begin that day, are you still taking them?
    The comic sounds awesome - and I had no idea corpse bride was out to rent! THanks
    get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul! I sure am going to SketchCrawl... I'll be going straight from the AAU class to the De Young museum! Man this is getting freaky how many things we have in common...What class are you taking?

    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amelia I so glad you like the link,Lotte is very friendly :) I wrote to her 2 weeks ago ;).
    Today I saw your posted I was a quiet busy,but alwyas I take a look your blog.
    Beautiful drawing I love the gesture so calm and serene :)

    Now more please ;)

    Good luck today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhh Amelia I read Erico Blog and and draw blog I will write to Lotte to tell her she must need create her blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul and Amelia-

    Animation Magazine listed AAU as a top school so you guys made a good move. Have fun sketchcrawling you crazy kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virginiajoe- Thanks a bunch for posting Lotte's site. Glad I stumbled across it!
    Louie-Hey, that's cool to hear! I've always liked that place so I'm glad to hear that it has a good reputation too.

    a

    ReplyDelete