Thursday, January 26, 2006

the plot thickens...

Everyone knows it now, yes, Disney has bought Pixar. When I first read about it I didn't let myself grow opinionated about it. I didn't really know what this would mean for little Luxo and the big Mouse... But once I had read other people's opinions about it, it seemed like I could join in with the most part of the animation community in being cautiously optimistic. I mean, Lasseter's going to have a say in what the guys down at Burbank do! That's good! And I have read that Disney won't touch Pixar, and of course they won't, if they know what they're doing. I wonder about Lasseter though with having such a big job...wasn't Pixar enough! And now he's got double duty. If anyone could do it though, I think he could.
I have also heard news that a certain CGI sequel movie about some toys has been canceled. And no offense to those who were working on it, I mean it stinks to lose your job, but I'm quite relieved. The idea of them making a sequel, with none of the original creators there to supervise...makes me not happy.
Anyway, I'm happy now with the whole Disney-Pixar deal. Although it would certainly be cool if the little lamp could go off on its own and distribute its own films, it seems like this is the next best thing.
In other news...
The next SketchCrawl is coming RIGHT UP! Saturday, February 4th, at the Asian Art Museum, as far as I know. Be there, or be...uh, there in spirit. Go out and draw away. Check out more info on Enrico's SketchCrawl Forums. That morning I start my figure drawing classes too and I'm really excited about that.
I'm also excited about this map I have here on the blog. Look at all those dots! That makes me happy, so thanks all of you who are stopping by, even if it's just randomly. Makes my day that much better.

8 comments:

  1. A-

    As much as they would like to be known now as one company, they will continue to be separate. I know first hand that above anything else, there is a major difference in culture in every aspect between the two. Their geographical non-proximity is also a factor however slight but, the so cal/no cal thing is big because of the territorial aspects that are bred in people. Plus there's about a 400 miles separating the two companies... Second is the pace and atmosphere is different especially for the artists. Pixar is a smaller, more intimate setting. Disney is de-centralized and highly corporate but casual.

    Indeed, time will tell who changes what. I think the key is how it's new leaders will take these irreversible differences and form some sort of cohesive bond that doesn't rob each of it's identity.

    Nice post and great observations.

    Just about now just a few blocks away from the disney studios, a man by the name of Jeffrey Katzenberg has his eyes and ears trained on all of this... the line in the sand has been drawn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts Louie. Indeed, I guess all that we can do as by standers is just that-stand by, and wait to see what happens. But I have a good feeling about it all now and am looking forward to future projects by both companies.

    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, too bad you won't be able to show up to Sketchcrawl... maybe you could get somebody's cel number and meet up with the group later on in the day.

    Still... why go to a museum when you can draw naked people? Have fun at your figure drawing class. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Emma- I am actually going to try to meet up with the group after my classes. It's on the same street as my class, so it shouldn't be too hard.
    Have fun and maybe see you there!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder what will happen with this whole team up thing...hope everything works out well

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paul- I just heard that the location has changed, now it's at the De Young Museum. Hope I can find everyone!!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad about Lassiter getting some control over at Disney, and also optimistic because it looks like Apple's (and Pixar's) Steve Jobs is going to have quite a bit of say at Disney. He seems to do a pretty good job of setting up the right atmosphere. Hey, it's gotta be better than Eisner, right?

    And now it looks like Pixar's going to do Toy Story 3 after all, so maybe it will turn out well. My youthful love of Disney had really been soured in the last decade as they kept doing icky things in the business world. I'm hoping that that time is over now and the "new Disney" will once again be a thing of inspiration.

    Just my two cents...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Jim! Thanks for stopping in!
    Indeed I'm rather optomistic about the whole thing...I just hope things don't get too complicated is all... :)
    Thanks for your two cents!

    a

    ReplyDelete