Someone asked me recently why I wanted to become a storyboard artist. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out. Hmm...why do I? I came up with, I like drawing...and making stories...and uh...I like drawing... I think I can trace it back to it's roots, way back when I first realized what it was. Before that I wanted to be an animator, you know, the traditional hand-drawn feature stuff all the way...But when I realized that that was a LOT of drawing...and EXPERT drawing at that, I got cold feet. Later I will have found out that storyboarding probably takes as much drawing as a completed animated scene, I think...never done it before...But anyways, after learning a little bit about storyboarding, and hearing that you technically don't have to be Leonardo Da Vinci at drawing, I thought, well gee. That's cool. I can still work in the animation biz, but I don't have to be extraordanarily good at drawing! After realizing this, I noticed that, as a plus, I'd get to delve into the story, help create the world and the characters and everything. As well as do some acting and writing, which I do enjoy most of the time. If it had been a job interview when I was asked why I wanted to do story, they would have taken my wanting to storyboard for an excuse to work in the business for lack of drawing skill, and that would have been an automatic No.
But these days, searching through the blogga-mo-sphere, I'm seeing more and more Leonardo Da Vinci's my age! It's both inspiring and intimidating. But more of the latter. Going to CSSSA Innerspark this summer was a big eye-opener too, especially to the talent that goes into that place (not to mention the talent that comes out!). I mean, portfolios there are like GAH amazing. If uh, that makes sense..heh...anyway. Kind of a rambling post. If anyone can tell me why I want to be a story artist so I can tell a future employer, you will probably win something.
Huh, I just figgered it was you wanted to be where the creative work was happening; I may have it all wrong, but I kinda think that storyboarding to drawing individual animation cels is kind of like the difference between being, say, an architect and a building framing carpenter, sorta...
ReplyDeleteWe're off to the Colorado River for the weekend...
Story and storyboarding to me is the most personal and influencial part of the film making business. Take away everything else, being able to communicate through both pictures and words is something only few of us will be able to do.
ReplyDeleteStorytelling has been part of human history since the beginning and i'd like to think that our generation and the one's after it will bear the task of making sure stories.... good stories are told and peoples imaginations are stoked and their souls are inspired.
plus it's either storyboarding or..."would you like some fries with that?"
Wow! You both win prizes!
ReplyDeleteJim- There's definetly truth in what you said. I do want to be there, at the center, surrounded by creative people and thoughts and ideas. Definetly.
Louie- Absolutely!! Story is like the heart of whatever body of creative work you're making, and I want to be a muscle that helps it pump. The generations part rings loud and clear to me as well. I want to help create things that people will love for years and years. I guess I want to carry on something that the people I admire started.
I promise I'll not work for burger king. Ever.
Thanks guys!!
Oh Jim- Have fun at the River!
ReplyDeletebecause storyboarding ROCKS.
ReplyDeleteby the way I know exactley what you mean about the whole looking around and seeing how good everyone is - now that I'm 17 i feel like i need to step it up a notch...BUT in the end I'm sure we'll both we working at Pixar in, none other than, the storyboard section :D
Yeahh, before I was not thinking outside of the box and simply told people (when asked)that I want to be an animator- but I think what it really is is that I want to work in the animation industry... And at the moment I'm quite open to all possible positions- I don't suppose I'll really know which one I like the most until I have tried the work they do in all of them. Strangely enough I never really thought about storyboarding, character design, etc before- but now they all seem equally interesting.
ReplyDeleteAnd I agree that all the talent out there is both inspiring and intimidating. All I can do is work harder at getting better! I mean even at csssa... it wasn't that I felt unskillful or lacking talent (okay maybe slightly)-but it was just all of a sudden I realized that I have a lot of work to do. Everyone was amazingggg!
Hey Amelia,
ReplyDeleteI think that you just gotta find the thing that you love doing, and do it without compromise--I don't really think that one's drawing abilities should get in the way.
So to that end, practice practice, practice, if you want to get good at this stuff! If you love story, practice story; if you love animation, practice animation; if you love design, practice design; and if you love it all, then make films. The more you know about drawing, about all these things, about EVERYTHING! the better you'll be at whatever it is that you do; everything informs everything else.
Very, very few people are naturals at anything, so don't be afraid of having to work for it--I guarantee you that everyone else is too--even here.
Keep pushing, and keep going!
:) thanks all!!
ReplyDelete