Ok. Now that the episode's over I guess I can focus on writing this. I'm super bummed that I wasn't able to see the Screenwriting Expo on Saturday where animation people talked to a whole audience of animation people down in LA. More specifically Pixar's Mark Andrews, Brad Bird, Jim Cappobianco, Jason Katz, Andrew Stanton and Ronnie Del Carmen were there to talk about the stories they create. But there have been some great posts covering the day there (see Louie's blog and Ronnie's blog and the TAG blog too). I believe that I heard Andrew Stanton give the same speech at Pixar a few years ago that he did at the Expo. I wish I had taken notes or something. But the TAG blog described what he had said at the expo, and it sounded just like what he had said at Pixar.
Seems like a whole lot of animation-related events like this expo happen down in the Los Angeles area, from reading Cartoon Brew. Maybe I'll live down there some day and go to every event heh heh...
But as long as I'm still at home base, I'll have to find interesting things here to do. And there are plenty of fun things indeed.
This Saturday I'll be taking a tour of the California College of the Arts campuses, one in Oakland and one in the City. Next year will be the school's first year of an animation program, which is cool. Plus, anything i
n SF is cool. Adding the words "art school" onto that and it's even better! I think I'm going to go to the Academy of Art in SF.I've gotten mixed responces from people about it. Some people have said it's too "commercial" and others think its great. You get what you want out of school. As long as I'm on the subject of art schools, I think I've decided to send out a portfolio to CalArts. Just to see what happens. It's far too expensive, even for one year, but hey, why not?

There's also a cool concert coming up featuring some great bands too, TOAST MACHINE and THE BAD PLUS. I'm pretty sure it will be at the Phoenix theater in Petaluma. Not a show to be missed!
Well I tried to mak
e this have some kind of order to it, but I ended up rambling again. Here are some figure drawings from my figure drawing class...
Hi Amelia,
ReplyDeleteBatgirl seems pretty cool. I'll always remember your ultra-cool Brak costume, though, it realy stands out in my mind!
As to L.A., you're always welcome to spend time at our house in Riverside if you need a place to stay while going to animation events, of course. L.A. _is_ the home of a lot of big animation houses (other than Pixar), so it figures that there'd be a lot of animation events down here.
I wonder how Zoe and Arica afford Cal Arts. Scholarships, maybe?
When it comes to art, "commercial" can't be too bad, since that would help you get income....
I have a couple of bassist friends down here whom I wish could see Toast Machine play...
Happy Halloween (we miss the Graton downtown event),
- Jim
Ameeeeeeeeelia!
ReplyDeleteAre you still working at the toy store? And your Halloween costume sounds very cool- I would love to see some pictures of Amelia the batgirl after halloween! I haven't decided on what I'm going to be for halloween- although I was a captain/sailor person for my school's gala event two weeks ago (the theme was 'Where in the World')
California... where interesting animation things happen. For me it's only something along the lines of: I wish to go to the Ottawa international animation Festival one day! You're still super lucky to have been able to visit pixar. I can only dream of doing that one day... one day. :)Oh and of course attending/visiting all animation related things/places.
I'm glad to hear you're going to give CalArts a try! (But that means it'll be even harder for me to get in! hehe)
Your Figure drawings are awesome! I love how weighty and fleshy the first one is. What is the length of the poses you get in class? (or atleast for these ones that you have posted)
I did get your email and am going to email back soon... oh and I'll try to go on aim as well. I miss you! :(
Jim- We all wish we could have come to your famous Halloween party. I bet you guys had an awesome time!
ReplyDeleteThanks for offering your place, haha! I might have to take you up on that someday... :P
As for scholarships at CalArts, I've heard that they give out few, if any, so I'm not sure what to do about money. But I'll cross that bridge...
Happy Halloween!
Cindey!
Yes, I still work there, worked there today, in fact. I just checked out your blog, and I LOVED IT!! He he! These pictures aren't that good, so I'll try to put some better ones up. My teacher told me it should look like a sculpture, and it should have shading almost all over it. At first I had a lot of white, but it looks more massive with all that conte all over it! I'm not sure how long that one was...possibly 15-30 minutes...And don't even start about the CalArts thing...You have a good chance of getting in, and a great way of approaching it. We'll both see what happens :0
AND I MISS YOU TOO. :(
Good sketches ;-)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ethe! I spelled your name wrong first so had to delete that one...hee hee
ReplyDeleteI love the last one, the red figure drawing! It has really nice sharp edges
ReplyDeleteI guess this makes two of us who havn't posted in a while...oops
V cool figure drawings!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Paul and Alina!
ReplyDelete