Saturday I went to San Francisco in the morning to visit the Academy of Art University. I'm interested in their storyboarding major (does any other school have a storyboarding major?)...I might even be going there in fall of 2008. It seems like a pretty good school, and compared to the other schools I've looked at it's about half as expensive. The best thing I learned there was that if I did go for their storyboarding major I wouldn't have to take any math again! Woo hoo! The bad side to this is that along with there being no math pre-requisits, there really are NO pre-requisits. They don't even look at a portfolio when admitting you in. They don't look at grades either. So that's kind of weird. But hey, I've got another year to think about it I guess...So I guess that means I don't need to send off my portfolios to CalArts or CCA this year either. Bummer! I kind of wanted to :/But later in the day (much later) my dad and I went to the most awesome TOAST MACHINE CONCERT EVAHHH. Yeah. It was a CD release party. It rocked. The audience was toasted. If you haven't yet, go to http://www.toastmachine.com/ and be amazed.
Down below are some better images of figure drawings I've been doing lately. Have a good week everyone



but but but.. even if you don't need to... you still have to! You must send a portfolio off to CalArts anyway!!! Academy of Art came to my school last year and I thought it was rather strange how they don't look at grades/porfolios as well. Maybe see if you can speak to some storyboarding students there? It is nice that they do offer storyboarding as a major there. Glad to hear that you had a great time at the concert- I better pull out that CD you sent me long ago for some toast-machineness. :D Your figure drawings are fantastic. :) I hope Jason is well.
ReplyDeleteI am really diggin your stuff my friend. Very nice.
ReplyDelete(and I'd be surprised if there were that many schools that had a storyboarding major).
Your life drawing is showing such vast improvement. Especially your line quality which is getting more refined. This is why it's the best (and cheapest) way to getting your chops up.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work.
Cindey-yeah, I'm probably going to send my portfolio off anyway...just to see...but I'm still not sure :)
ReplyDeleteForlackofbetter- Thanks! You are the first one to comment who has the same blog layout as me!
Louie- Wow, thanks a lot. That made my day :D
Have you looked at Sheridan? That's the animation school up in Toronto, but I don't know if you want to stay in-state or not.
ReplyDeleteI went down to take a tour of the Art Academy in spring and wasn't really impressed with their 2d animation department's work (is that the department storyboarding would be in?).
I think a ton of it is just knowing where you want to be, though, regardless of your school. You're fortunate to know all these people in the industry, and so no matter where you are, you'll be able to fill the gaps the school leaves open with work and practice that you gather yourself.
Are you at AI right now?
Emma-Actually I haven't even thought about Sheridan, though I've heard of its good animation reputation. I wasn't too impressed with the Academy's 2d animation sample film, but I've seen the stuff that the Spline Doctors' students do, and WOW thats amazing stuff! I'm so torn! I'm actually not at an art college right now either, I'm just at the Santa Rosa Junior College. It will probably be another year and a half or two years before I need to know for sure where I want to go...so I might be fretting over nothing at the moment. :)
ReplyDeleteway to not post the halloween pictures like you said you would! UGLY FACE POO POO HEAD
ReplyDeletegreat gesture drawings!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Alina!
ReplyDelete