So now that I had gotten all jazzed up about CalArts again, and since we'd be driving right by it the next day, I had the urge to stop by, just to look inside again.
The next day my parents dropped me off there so they could go get gas and food (7 hours to go!). The school was pretty empty, since it was Sunday, but there were a few students walking around here and there. Im
I walked around gaping at the artwork put up on the walls in the main auditorium, then headed down stairs to where the animation room was. As I rounded the corner I figured that the doors would be closed on the weekend, but then there they were, wide open! I had my camera handy.
Yep, that's right! Corny Cole was in the Palace doing his drop-in Sunday figure drawing class. Oh man, I wish I could have stayed!!! But I got to talk with him a little bit--I'm surprised he remembered me--and he wished me luck with my portfolio. In fact, he says, they had just started looking at them
After visiting him (and marveling at his pastel work) I went out into the main hallway and gaped at all the student's artwork up on the walls. Quite incredible stuff.
Next I went upstairs to look around the animation cubicles, little personal office-like spaces with shower-curtains for doors. There wasn't a single wall that didn't have scribbles and caricatures all over it. I didn't look inside any of the cubicles themselves, but they seem to be pretty neat little work places. (And it appears that they are pretty lenient with student's cubicle-decorating)
It was a good visit but all too short. My parents were back after 15 or 20 minutes, and it was time once again to sink into the car seats and sit it out till we got home.
Oh, and I forgot that it was SketchCrawl 12 and 1/2 on Sunday till my mom reminded me--though I did happen to draw my surroundings anyway that morning. I love observing people...
amelia! I got your email, by the by. :) So you did visit CalArts! Wow. After reading this post and seeing the good ol' animation hallway again, I have this strong desire to go back again. And to be honest, sometimes I still cant' believe I was actually there. I miss it all. (Except for the chicken)It's great that you got to see Corny AND see him drawing (he's just amazing)... but even better that he remembered you! The student artwork is definitely pretty incredible. (I want to draw like that! hehe) And ohhh the cubicles... I like how we secretly snuck upstaires after lunch near the end of the month- just to take a peek! It was quite empty then, but it must look pretty fantastic now. How I wish and hope that you, me, jeff.. and the csssa kids could be back there again... and this time for four years! :) March/April is closer than we think!
ReplyDeleteCALARTS
ReplyDelete*BOOM*
Yes...only one more month...or two...gahhh....
ReplyDeleteVery nice sketch work. As i've mentioned to you before, I'm constantly surrounded by CalArts grads around the studio so that is proof of how good that school is. I think you have a good shot at it.
ReplyDeleteThanks Louie--we'll see what happens.
ReplyDeleteOh shit! You were are CalArts on Sunday?! I was at CalArts on Sunday! You probably walked right by my cube or I just barely missed you somehow...damn. And, you should ALWAYS look inside the cubes. The inside is the best part! The trick is to make sure the lights are off. If the light is off, there's nobody home, and you can peak away.
ReplyDeleteHas anyone gotten any letters yet?? I'm DYING to know!
Bridgette- I did in fact walk by your cube, and (though it is a little silly) I was quick to snap a picture of your wall, with all the caricatures of you on it! Your cube-mate walked into her cube the same time I was taking the picture, and she looked at me like "Who the heck are you? And why are you taking pictures of a wall?" Haha! I would have loved to sneak a peak in more than one cube but thought I better not in case the animator comes round the corner as I stick my nose in their business :P
ReplyDeleteAs for letters, nothing yet!
wow this was the ultimate hype for applying to CSSA!! I'm still deciding between RISD pre-collage or CSSA or MICA pre-collage AAAAH!! BUT this post has me a little tilted twards CSSA...
ReplyDeleteand I forgot it was SC 12.5 too :(
Paul- I'm sure any one of those summer programs would be awesome, so apply for all three (if it doesn't cost too much). But be warned: going to CSSSA will make you very happy for 30 days. Then it will make you unnaturally unhappy for many more days after you leave! (Just ask anyone on this comments section)
ReplyDeleteI have relatives up in Valencia actually. I passed by CalArts's freeway exit over the holidays and I had a massive heart attack.
ReplyDeleteThus I started shrieking in the van full of relatives who have always conceived me as the quiet type.
*Sobs*