Saturday, May 19, 2007

SketchCrawl # 14

Another SketchCrawl under our belts. Good job everyone. I feel like I could have done a lot more drawings (mo' betah drawings) but part of it was that I was tired and wasn't feeling my best; however no other day could have cheered me up more.
First of all, I got to see Toast Machine up in Healdsburg with Jeff on Friday night and it was awesome, besides getting a little lost at first around town and showing up early anyway! Oh well. It was an cool setting. We were the only 18 year olds there...not the usual wine-drinkers that they get, I have a feeling. They nice bartender gave us tart cherry sodas on the house. And of course, the show was fantastic.
The next day was the start of SketchCrawl #14! And an early start too; 8:30 was when we left, with Mary, Karianne, Mom, Jeff and I together in the car. We just made the 9:40 ferry, which arrived in SF at about 10:30 where we met up with Ronnie, Paul, and a group of other early birds. The crawl didn't get started really until about 12, but the weather couldn't have been better (yet AGAIN!) and there were plenty of people around to draw.
This crawl was super fun because of the chance to explore even more of San Francisco that I've never seen before, like the Filbert Steps, which I didn't know were placed in such a beautiful location. The downside to this, and only one downside, was that I was too distracted to draw as much as I'd like. If I had been feeling myself I would have been a little more spontaneous with my pencil and Crayola markers. Once we settled down at Washington park, I was able to people watch and joke around with friends. We did have to move eventually because of a scheduled evangelist speech and religious band that had to set up right behind us. The microphones were two feet away! Oh well. We moved, and I was able to meet up with some great people. I was feeling a lot better then. Once the speech started I think everyone kind of wanted to go somewhere more quiet, since in one ear there was some sort of Turkish celebration and in the other was a pretty loud evangelist. So we went to a park in Chinatown down the street.
At first it felt like there wasn't much to do there...but we found a good sunny spot on a bench and sketched a little more. Mom and Karianne went shopping for a while. By 5 o'clock we were getting kind of tired, and I didn't really feel like showing my drawings from the day, but I got sucked up into the endless sketchbook-passing group; I was reminded that I was surrounded by a lot of really inspiring (and intimidating) artists. But this is a good thing, a very good thing.
We walked back to the ferry building and drank some Peet's Coffee beverages while we waited for the last ferry of the day to arrive. It was a very pleasant ride back, with very nice company.
After a low-key, sleepy ride back home to Sonoma county I sit at my computer, writing a much needed blog post. My last post was out-dated the moment after I updated it!

6 comments:

  1. YAAAAAY!
    Good to see you there, Amelia!
    Your mom too. Keep drawing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was so much funn! I was bummed I had to leave early though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw yeah...how was Prom night though? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it was really fun. I can't wait for the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. James- I had to switch your link from "Animation Blogs" to "Pixar Folk!" Congratulations on your new job :)

    ReplyDelete