Sunday, August 17, 2008

life update

Down to the final two weeks here at Home Base. It's been a wonderful, exciting, strange, nostalgic week...and I think all of these emotions will become tenfold in 14 days. Both of my jobs have ended by now, which is great, since now I have been able to do a bunch of fun things with my friends and parents when normally I wouldn't have done. However, if I don't keep myself busy with cleaning or practicing bass or doing more fun things with family, I am terribly at risk of boredom or couch-potatodom. So I've kept myself busy. :)

Last weekend Mom and I spent the night in San Francisco at the Mariott Hotel in the downtown area. We did get stuck in traffic when we got in the city (protest rally or something), but after that mess we had a real fun time. We saw our favorite Hawaiian musicians in an intimate concert Saturday night (VIP!) and visited many stores looking for dorm accessories and new clothes. I got a gracious gift from our family friend, so I was able to spend a bit and not fret about it! (well, not as much as I normally would at least!) On Sunday we went into the Container Store and saw Adam Savage, of Mythbusters fame! How cool is that! Now the shoe rack I bought there will always remind me of seeing that wacky Adam (one of my heroes I think it's safe to say)
Here's a picture of my inventory collected:
We also went across the bay and over to IKEA. It was my first time visiting this monster of a store. I actually didn't buy as much as I thought I would, but I did buy an awesome lantern lamp and a guard snake which I call Fredrick. He's not a real snake. But he will be guarding my cube at CalArts. Don't worry, he's friendly!

This week I found out my schedule for school! It's so exciting. I'll do another post on that all together.
We also went out to see "Bottle Shock" in Sonoma, at the famous Sebastiani Theater. I've always wanted to go in there, and Brenda Lhormer was there to talk about the film. She and her husband put on the Sonoma Valley Film Festival that I volunteered at last year. They produced this film. It was filmed right around here, and in Paris, too. I very much recommend the film! It's funny and light-hearted, and predictable, but it's based on something that actually happened, so we know what the end result's going to be anyway ;) The characters are interesting and conflicted and likable. Especially the British wine snob. Plus you get to see beautiful Sonoma and Napa counties! Go see it!

Yesterday we went to the Schulz Museum, finally...we live so close, it's silly that we haven't gone before now. But we were given two tickets, so Mom and I once again ventured out together and had a great time. There are so many comic strips on the walls that it'd be impossible to read them all in one sitting. But it really made me realize how important Peanuts is, and how special we are to have had Charles Schulz right here. He started the Snoopy Ice Arena, which has been there for forever to me. I used to take classes there when I was younger. I think Schulz even came up to me on the ice once, I'm not sure why; to help me out, or maybe he just passed me by and said "hello." I do remember that, strangely enough, though I didn't know who he was at the time. Visiting the museum--an example of fantastic, atrium-esque architecture in the main hall-- made me want to go back and read my Peanuts book. There was a whole exhibit on Beethoven's influence on Schroeder. Really fun stuff.

Today I had an amazing day too. I woke up relatively early and watched The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, my new favorite TV show, had pancakes that Dad labored over just a little too much (they were fantastic though), helped my Mom out with some cleaning to prepare for our party next weekend, then went for a bike ride with dad to see some airplanes from the Airshow going on this weekend. We saw a HUGE plane take off over our heads, and he came back several times! And we saw a jet nearly break the sound barrier!! It was surreal! So that was fun. hehe.
Then we had lunch, rode our bikes back to the car, and stopped by the store to get pie-supplies. Then Dad and I made a couple apple pies from our apple tree in the back yard. Yummm.
Sprinkled throughout the day were reminders of school, the Totoro Auction, snuggles with my kitties, and bass practicing. All in all, a fantastic day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I couldn't think of living away from home while going to school! I'm so excited that you going to such an awesome school. Cool dorm items too. I'm always overwhelmed when I go into an IKEA store. So much too look at!

    ReplyDelete