Here are a few pics from the gallery opening last Thursday. There was an awesome line up for caricatures all evening. Most of the artists were students from the department. I hope they continue to do the caricatures again next year. Maybe I'll join in...
Above is my unfinished sculpture for last semester's Color and Design class. I enjoyed doing it but am disappointed that I didn't push myself further with it. I'm actually looking forward to sculpting the characters from my film this year--now definitely a gecko and a little frog. I can't wait. Maybe I'll buy some acrylics and paint them too. The last picture is of the same piece on the gallery wall. I decided to use pastels instead of gouache for the project...and I found it went much smoother and was more intuitive for me. Gouache can be beautiful but ohh how it can be so expensive and tedious!
This week we have been given an assignment from the amazing duo, Shannon Tindle and Shane Prigmore. Last Friday the entire department was given the challenge to design Oliver, Fagen and Artful Dodger from Dickens's Oliver Twist. Their second and last lecture is this Friday, where we're expected to present and defend our designs. Gotta start those...Wish me luck!
Have a great week!
Hey You!
ReplyDeleteSo nice to get an update -- especially with your art and photos! I love the fishies - what class was that for? Wish I could have see the Character Show.
Good luck on the character design!
Miss you!
Amelia!
ReplyDeleteI love your sculpture. I'm so glad I get to see it via your blog. And the work you put up in the gallery was beautiful.
Shane and Shannon are 2 of the best in the biz. I have the pleasure of working with them at DW and you will learn a lot from them. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteLet me know when you have events like this. I'd like to check it out. I haven't been to cal-arts in quite a while...
Jenessa, thanks very much! ;)
ReplyDeleteLouie- it was a great two-week lecture. A lot of people produced some great character designs. Mine were not complete, but I felt better having done something for them instead of nothing at all. They were both great speakers, very inspirational. And just today I got to see Coraline, the movie they worked on most recently. It's a beautiful film. I'll let you know who's coming up here next! Usually we have someone new every week.