Sunday, July 24, 2005

nightshift

A week went by and my story has begun to take flight. Well, it's at least started to flutter. And by that, I mean I've got most of it figured out in my head. There is this great book I have, it's one of my favorites, called The Complete Animation Course by Chris Patmore. It goes through every stage of any level production, from home-made flipbooks to full-on films. It covers many if not all of the animation techniques. What helped me this week was the chapter on writing a script. I wanted to get my ideas down, and I wanted to pretend I was a storyboard artist receiving a script (but it would be from myself...). Yeah it sounds funny, but what can I say? I have an idea and this time I want to take it as far as I can go.
If you've been following my blog you've heard little snippets of this funky short about an emergency light in a museum. Now I have written about three pages of "script" and I've storyboarded little pieces of the story. I need to develop a climax now (somewhat of a challenge, considering my hero is a plastic box with eye-bulbs).
What also helped me from the book was the chapter on the basic "Hollywood formula." When I think of the words Hollywood formula, I usually think of sinker sequels that bombed at the box office. However, the formula makes sense, and not all storys follow it exactly. In fact, it might be more interesting if you don't. But you have to follow it somewhat, or else the story will feel loose and confusing, so says the book, and I believe it.

In other news, my dad and I went to San Francisco on Friday. I drove to San Rafael, then we ran to catch the ferry across the bay. I absolutely LOVE taking the ferry. And what made it even better was seeing a guy (most likely a student at college) storyboarding on the way over! I didn't have the guts to say Hi or anything. But that guy is living my dream. Imagine riding the ferry to school!
I can't wait until drawing is my homework.
After getting off the ferry and silently waving goodbye to my storyboarder friend, we walked down Market and ate at a Chinese place. Next we stopped at Virgin Records Mega store (oooh maaan...) and I bought a combination Tango/Electronica CD. Didn't really know what I was getting, but I like it.
Then my dad and I saw War of the Worlds at the Imax theatre. I can't say I loved it...but it wasn't really my favorite type of movie in the first place. My favorite thing about it was the sound effects but I didn't see who did them... And the theatre was REALLY loud.
Then we got back on the ferry (no storyboarder) and ate dinner at San Rafael. I think I like the ferry so much because it's great people watching and it's the perfect situation for sketching people's faces and postures.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I could sure use a ferry ride. I am generally a shy person but i've had to learn to approach people especially ones who share the same interests or even ones who I know from reputation. It's crucial if you want your network to expand.

    Your thirst for knowledge is commendable. Keep it up. Leave no stone unturned!

    Louie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louie, I will turn over stones until my heart's content, be there spiders or gold hidden underneith! And thank you for the short film pep talk. You got my mind-motor workin' on this emergency light story and it sure is fun...

    a

    ReplyDelete