Tuesday, August 09, 2005

more on maui

Hello and again sorry for that weird format thing...we have a laptop but we only get internet in town, a couple minutes away. Since all three of us want some time on the computer and we sit in cafes to get online, I can't write my whole blog entry there. Instead I write the entry in a different program here at our "homebase," then copy and paste in the cafe. Now I'm using a differrent writing program and it's normal.

Saturday I got in the water really for the first time, now with a boogie board. We got to Big Beach and I immediately jumped in and started to boogie. I boogied all morning, until the sun was high in the sky. But I have payed for two days for taking to the water so suddenly-- every muscle in my body aches! Yesterday I could hardly pick up my legs (today I have graduated to walking normally). That's what I get for not exercising.

Sunday night was really fun. First let me rewind a few days...uh, I think Thursday. I was listening to the local radio station called Mana'o radio (which is online too. It's really diverse music, no commercials and my family loves it most of the time), and this guy started talking. First I think I thought it was a commercial or something, but he kept talking for a long time, telling this story. We were in the car on our way to Borders bookstore. My parents got out of the car and I said I'd be right in, but the story got more and more entertaining. Soon enough I forgot all about going into the bookstore and my parents came back right as the story ended. I remembered the narrator's name: Jeff Gere. So we listen to the radio some more and the next few days we realize that Gere is going to be here on Maui doing a storytelling show! Fast forward to yesterday night. I persuade my parents to go to this "spooky story" theatre event thing, profiting Mana'o radio, and we go and I'm hoping to myself that there aren't a hundred three-year-olds and we go in and he starts talking, and soon enough it was just like in the car at Borders bookstore. Long sentence. Anyway, it was really neat to hear really cool word-of-mouth tales from this guy. I hope I can buy a CD of his if he has a website or something. He has a show on Mana'o radio too!

Monday we rented a surfboard and set off to a beach I had been to before a few years ago but I don't know its name. I took a surfing lesson last time I was there, and this time I got on the board just for fun. I tried three times and on the third time I got up. The waves seemed like they were few and far between, but maybe that's better for someone who doesn't know what they're doing. We also went to Laperuse Bay and I had fun looking at a water tunnel like thing and the turtles inside it!

In addition to my soreness I have acquired a sore throat and sniffy nose, which really helps me enjoy my vacation all the more. Not.

But to end on a happy note, I will be seeing a friend who lives on O'ahu whom I see too little of these days. Talk to you soon,

ALOHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment