Tuesday, November 08, 2005

toon boom

My mom installed a trial version of Toon Boom Studio on her computer. I really like it- I haven't read up on it yet, but just playing with it I figured out how to make a ball bounce... That was fun. I think there's a lot more to do with it that I don't know how to do yet, so I better use it as much as I can until the thing expires. We only have it for 14 days, then we either have to install the trial version again or buy the real thing.
Last Saturday was the 1 year anniversary of The Incredibles opening day in theatres, so I watched it again with popcorn and a rootbeer Saturday night. I still have a newspaper clipping featuring Brad Bird that came out last year pinned up on my wall. Every time I watch that movie I notice something new or look at something and think, "How in the heck did they do that?" It could be how a shot was staged, animated or even how they got the light to look that convincing, but each time is just like Halloween for my eyes. You know, eye candy. Ear candy too, thanks to Michael Giacchino. That music gets me on a buzz...and presently I'm listening to Finding Nemo, the part where they ride the turtles. I love this soundtrack too!
I've been loving this rain but I really do hope it clears up by the weekend (especially Sunday- SketchCrawl day). Oops- dinner's ready. Here's a photo from October 2004 at Pixar...

8 comments:

  1. Hey Amelia--

    it's great this stuff gets you so excited!
    the Incredibles certainly is a terrifically inspiring film.

    The best of luck on your sketchcrawl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nick Sung! I hadn't been to your blogs lately- I like the Firehouse Stomp one especially. I think I'll bookmark it. You have some really amazing artwork on there! Hope to see more of it!
    And thanks for coming by!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still not much of a commenter but hey, good going on the upcoming sketchcrawl.. I need art..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nini- thank you for coming by...definetly find the time to do the SC, even if it's during math class or something... Heh heh

    a

    ReplyDelete
  5. I downloaded toon boom a while ago and didn't play around with it enough. I made a funny little stick figure short, horrible animation. Toon boom is fun though! I wish it lasted longer

    You just got me really excited to watch the Incredibles with popcorn, and a rootbeer doesn't sound to bad!

    did you take that picture at Pixar premere while everyone was waiting in line to go into the theater?? I have a really visual memory and remember seeing a giril with a button up tee shirt posing...I wonder if it was you....? carzy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paul- This was at a special kind of "behind the scenes" of the Incredibles last October...it took place inside Pixar and Gary Rydstrom, Andrew Stanton, Angus MacLane and Mark Andrews spoke about each of their jobs there. It was so AWESOME. I wasn't at the Pixar premere though :(
    By the way I'm definetly doing the AAU figure drawing in FEB!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a suggestion but try out Moho if you like, seems pretty good even though it relies predominantly on Flash.

    http://www.lostmarble.com/moho/download.shtml

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toonboom is a highly underrated program. When I worked for Nickelodeon, USAnimation which owns and develops it showed us a demo. They were marketing it as an alternative to Flash which at the time was an inferior program but no one knew of TB.

    Flash has since gotten better but for the money, TB does everything flash can and is more intuitive for classical animation. USAnimation also developed the original digital production platform used to produce most of the TV animation you are watching right now.

    I never did do enough with my trial version but maybe you can?

    ReplyDelete