Sunday, January 22, 2006

Ahh the 20s...

I never realized just how much I love the old illustrations from the jazz age. The 1920s, I mean. I bought a book today chock-full of these kinds of illustrations, all of little children. These are some of the most adorable drawings I've ever seen! All the little boys wear sailor suits and all the girls wear dresses that look like they're wearing a lampshade. But I love it all. It got me inspired and all I did today was draw in the sunlight. Ahh...sounds like my kind of Sunday.
The girl in the middle in the first picture I tried to copy from my new book. The boy is holding a staff with lanterns on it...I'm not sure why. Actually the red watercolored running girl is from a few days ago, but what the heck, here she is. The last one I spent almost all day on and I had a lot of fun doing it.
Well, tomorrow is the beginning of the third quarter, second semester of the school year. Hope the second half of the year goes as fast as the first. But on the other hand, I don't. Strange I know, to say I wouldn't want school to end. But once summer comes this year, I won't be going back. I guess it won't be the school I'll miss; definetly won't miss the assignments or homework (although I've been very lucky this year and have had hardly any homework). I think I'm going to miss all the cool people I've met.
All the same, graduation, here I COME! In, uh...six months...

10 comments:

  1. love, love, love the one with the kids! I too enjoy jazz of the 1920's and 30's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, thanks Silvana! I love theat big band and singer standards music. I'd listen to it all day if I could.

    a

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great drawings!!! :)All of them are BEAUTIFUL :) Congrats Amelia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Virginiajoe and Redhen- I thank you kindly :)

    a

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is insane - we have so many of the same interests and have gone to a lot of the same events (without knowing it like the coldplay concert and pixar Incredibles premiere.) My face was practically glued to the screen for this post: the 20s and 30s were so interesting. Great drawings too! I gotta remember to post all my 1230s study drawings
    AAU starts up soon - talk to you later 2nd sememster senior!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Paul- It's cool that we've got so much in common. By 'Incredibles Premier,' do you mean that event at Pixar in October 04? That would be a trip if you went to that too!! All set for the Feb. 4th SketchCrawl? Only 10 more days!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the good old days! When things were made to last and every graphic was a work of art..... We can certainly learn a thing or two about that time in history.. Nice sketches by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Louie. I couldn't keep my nose out of this new book with old illustrations from that age. Everything seems to be more elegant back then...softer and sweeter. Things were so much simpler back then, I think.

    a

    ReplyDelete
  9. your drawings are beautiful!! Very appealing characters, charming and great style!

    ReplyDelete