Sunday, February 05, 2006

weekend

What a cool weekend. On Saturday we took off at 9:15 for the City, carting my huge drawing pad and charcoal pencils and all. We got to the orientation on time at AAU and after I sat down I saw Paul! Imagine that, in the same figure drawing class. The class is taught by the same teacher as last year and he's a really cool guy. It's in a different building this time, with no windows...that's kind of a bummer, but hey, we're supposed to draw the model, not what's outside anyway.
From my experience with models, it seems like they're pretty serious about their work. And they have a hard job--you've got to be confidant, not stage-shy and pretty strong too. I mean, this week's model seemed like he knew tai chi or something. He was standing on one leg, with the other leg out at a 90 degree angle, for a minute! Two or three times he did that.
Ok, I have to vent something now, sorry:
After class I piled into the elevator with about 6 or 7 other students. I asked, so what'd you think of the class? to the small crowd, and one person said that they thought it was kind of annoying. They said they already knew how to draw people. Hey, look. I can't draw people, and I don't think I'll ever know how to really draw people, masterfully, you know. What would annoy me is a class that taught how to draw circles. But to not learn anything from a class this cool? This is such a great opportunity. Take advantage of it while you can.
ANYWAY.
After class my parents and I tried hooking up with the SketchCrawl troupe. After a dizzying drive around unknown parts of the city we ended up at Golden Gate Park. We finally found them at the very end of the day, 5:00. Enrico was there but Ronnie couldn't make it. It wasn't a usual SketchCrawl...didn't get to draw with them...but for half an hour or so I hung out with the cool (and AMAZING) artist crawlers. (Emma's sketchbook was particularly flooring!) Enrico's work was, as always, awesome. I didn't get a chance to look at other people's artwork unfortunately. Before I knew it, everyone was leaving and it was just us and Enrico. Then we went our separate ways, picked up some gyros, got lost down the wrong street and then drove home.

Today was the annual Chocolat feast with my friend Mary. We started the tradition a few years ago of getting together every year around Valentines day to watch the movie Chocolat and eat just that-chocolate. Lots of it. And this year was like a birthday party, with not only Mary, but friends Linnea, Melissa, Ashley, Catie, Karianne, Chelsea and Merissa. WOO hoo, par-tay!! These people are so cool...I love 'em all!
Next week is the last before our week-long mid-winter break (also known as Ski Week). And of course, next Saturday is not only another cool drawing class, but WONDERCON as well.
Well I seem to be having trouble uploading any pictures. Just boring old me rambling on for today...I'll try to get some pics up soon.

Until the next late night blogging, have a good week and thanks for tolerating my rants!

7 comments:

  1. where is your drawings?? I saw on Paul blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. UGH - i hate it when students do that about the classes - complain that they "are to advanced for the boring class" NONSENCE! I learned sooo much last class + there's always more to learn about drawing people!
    Glad you found the sketches, wish I could have been there! The AAU bus took a full hour to get us back to Montgomery, but it was actually a really nice ride, just got to enjoy the sun and the city.
    The chocolate party sounds like a great tradition!
    See you next class, and maybe at Wondercon too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Virginiajoe- I'll try again to put up some pictures...I had to fit that big drawing pad onto my scanner so that the right drawing fit, and I did that twice, but forgot to save either one! Then I did them all over again, and forgot to save them as a jpg, then even as a jpg blogger couldn't take them, so I had a late nite trying to put up pictures ;) But I will try again!
    Paul- Well I guess there's always something to learn, even in a class teaching circles heh heh... So maybe that girl can show us a few of her tricks, if she's bored already? :)
    I love riding through the City because it's just so differend from my hometown. Really an eye-opener for me every time, I love it.
    Next saturday I'm definetly going to Wondercon. woohoo!

    a

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amelia & Paul,

    Life drawing is the key that unlocks it all. Almost every drawing conundrum is solved by life drawing. When you can solve any drawing problem, you become the draftsperson that can be relied on.

    I had morons walk out of so many LD sessions i've taken and they complain about the same things... These people will not amount to anything. When you think you know it all, you will learn nothing.

    So perservere and take as many LD classes as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like some very interesting events!

    I just can't believe how jaded some people get; it's sad, really. Reminds me of Donita's and my honeymoon, Doni's first time standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon, tears streaming down Donita's face, and me just thrilled inside, and a man standing near us remarked to his companion "well, you've seen one canyon, you've seen 'em all." And then there were all those jaded performers backstage at Renaissance Faire, making fun of the "turkeys" (customers) while we were thrilled to be entertaining people... Ah, people....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, wow. Well, there's always somebody...
    Thanks for comin' by Jim!

    a

    ReplyDelete