Hey there. I'm at an internet cafe in Waikiki, and have been trying to set up my laptop for about 20 minutes. First I had to plug in the battery, then it couldn't find any wireless connection (in an internet cafe, go figure) so I tried to put in the wire and the little card that you've got to switch with that one other thing and this and that and then it didn't want to work at all. So. I gave up and here I am on one of their PCs.
What am I doing in Hawaii, you ask? Well, my gracious parents gave me a trip of my own to stay with our friend here for a graduation present. Yes, I do feel lucky...and I've been enjoying it all the way. It's not like our typical vacation here; for one, no parents around. (heh heh) Two, my friend Judy is having her house remodeled, so she's staying in an appartment. I go with her to meet with clients during the day and at night we hit the Hawaiian music venues, which seem to be going on every day here. She's good friends with many of the musicians here, so she can say "I'm with the band," and people don't bother her. Heh, acually, they've just been playing at clubs and stuff, so it's all free anyway. This morning I went to hula with Judy, which was a workout but I really enjoyed being incorporated into the culture that much more. It felt like lilo and stitch... :)
Yesterday I hung around...um...a town whose name I've forgotten...and I found a book on Norman Rockwell and I bought it because I love his paintings and sketches. Another book that I bought back at home just for this trip is Flight Volume 3. I didn't read it until I got on the plane, and I love love love it!! It inspires me so much! I love almost each short story in it and I celebrate it's publishment. If indeed that is a word.
I got a new sketchbook for this trip and have been sketching here and there. I hope all y'all are going to take part in this Saturday's SketchCrawl! I'm going to miss being in SF with the regular crowd and with the newbies too. I come back next Sunday. I'll be thinking of you guys though and hopefully I'll find a way to do nothin' but draw that day. However it is my last day here, so I will want to spend time with Judy too. I'll figure it out.
If I knew how to make my laptop feel better, I could show you pictures of my stay here, because now I can download pictures from our camera to it. Back home Dad's reading this and thinking, "She breaks the laptop at the first internet cafe! The shame!" Just kidding.
I've got a lot of time to just look around here in Waikiki, so I'm going to see what kind of things I can trap in my sketchbook. I'll talk to you again when I can, and thanks for reading even there are no pictures!
aloha!
Gee, Amelia, you are sooo luckeee!
ReplyDeleteHey Amelia,
ReplyDeleteYou got on-line... cool. Too bad the laptop thing didn't work out in Waikiki. You just need to sneek by Judy when she's not looking and unplug her LAN connection and hook your laptop up. 'Cause we want to see pictures.
Everything going well here. We saw a great show last night with Bela Fleck & The Flecktones, Keller Williams, and the Yonder Mountain String Band.
Keller was killer. He plays everything including the Theremin. But Victor Wooten was my hero.
See ya Sunday!
Sounds like a great trip!! I have been dieng to get my hands on Flight 3! I've been reading the second one like crazy :)
ReplyDeleteI'll miss you tomorrow at the sketchcrawl!
- Paul
Geez, Amelia, you are just having TOO MUCH FUN!!!
ReplyDeleteBela and Keller at the same show? In WAIKIKI?
Too much! Luuuuckeeeeeee! ;-> :->
Oh we gotta hear all about this when we see ya!
Just kidding, I hope you're having the time of yer life!
- Jim, where it's 103 in the shade
Oh, and I'd like a shave ice too. Make mine coconut...
ReplyDelete